PC market declines 33%; Toshiba American gets new CRO; Veritas Backup Exec targeted by BlackCat; Synoptek gets new CRO
Rush hour traffic on busy highway in downtown financial area in the evening
It’s Monday evening. Here are five technology news updates, insights, chatter, and plenty more to wind up your day on April 10, 2023.
What’s In Our Daily Mix?
- Who We Serve: Content for managed services providers (MSPs), IT service providers (ITSPs), cybersecurity consultants, technology solutions providers (TSPs), systems integrators, VARs, independent software vendors (ISVs), distributors and any other partner acronym that further energizes our already stellar SEO.
- Frequency: Every business day.
- Reaching me: Send news, tips and rumors to [email protected].
Today’s Technology and MSP Partner Program News
- The PC market slumps: New analysis from Canalys analyst Ishan Dutt shows that the desktop and notebook market in Q1 2023 experienced its fourth consecutive double digit decline with shipments down 33% annually to 54 million units. In a LinkedIn post, chief analyst Jay McBain said that there are downstream implications for partners “with less new units coming into managed services contracts and the extension of older units that are tougher to manage, keep repaired, and secure against emerging threats.”
- Tough job for new Toshiba boss: That means it’s a tougher job ahead for Toshiba America Business Solutions’ new chief revenue officer Steven Sauer. Sauer was promoted to the role from his previous one as president of the organization. The 28-year industry veteran and 19-year Toshiba executive is now primarily responsible for increasing the company’s revenue and profitability via its United States direct and indirect sales channels.
- Veritas Backup Exec vulnerability targeted by BlackCat ransomware operation: The U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) last week added five security flaws to its Known Exploited Vulnerabilities catalog associated with the Veritas Backup Exec Agent. Verticas released a patch in March 2021. Google-owned Mandiant said in a recent report that an affiliate associated with the BlackCat ransomware operation is targeting publicly exposed Veritas Backup Exec installations by leveraging these unpatched vulnerabilities.
- Ex-cybersecurity boss gets new gig in data: Former Palo Alto Networks CEO and board chairman Mark D. McLaughlin has joined the board of directors of Snowflake, which offers a cloud-based service to help customer organizations unite siloed data and execute analytic workloads.
- New revenue boss for MSP: Managed service provider and digital transformation advisory company, Synoptek, has appointed Ian Au-Yeung as chief revenue officer. He previously held high-level roles at companies including Epsilon, Accenture, and Evalueserve.